It is great after the summer break to see the buzz returning in the Square Mile. This week we had chance to meet again in person and reconnect at our Ward of Cheap summer reception. We reflected on personal and professional challenges we have all faced in different ways, and discussed how we can shape the future of the Square Mile.
Next year the City will go to the ballot boxes to elect Common Councillors for a new three-year period. You can find more information on how to engage on the City’s dedicated website https://www.speakforthecity.com/.
At our summer reception the current team of Common Councillors for the Ward of Cheap Alastair Moss, Nick Bensted-Smith and Tijs Broeke confirmed their intention to stand again as a team for re-election in 2022.
As the City re-emerges from Covid19 and reshapes it’s position following Brexit, Alastair, Nick and Tijs are more determined than ever to work together as a team to promote the Square Mile and implement actions to support a vibrant City – this includes championing:
- Covid19 support for SMEs and local businesses
- Promotion of the City in the UK and abroad
- A vibrant Cheapside business community
- Keeping the City safe and secure
- Addressing begging and tackle anti-social behaviour
- Adopting a climate action plan and establishing the City as a global hub for green finance
- Promoting road safety for all users
- Ending rough sleeping and homelessness
- Investing in the City as a global centre for culture and commerce
- Enhancing and promoting diversity and social mobility
Over the next few months we will continue our engagement with residents, City workers and businesses in the ward as we develop our priorities for the next three-years.